GOODBYE!

 


It’s so hard to say Goodbye.

Where has the time gone? I cannot believe it’s time to say farewell. But not before I extend thanksgiving and share a few of my favorite moments as the Intern Blogger for the School of English Studies Fall 2022.

I am teary-eyed just thinking about the incredible experiences and lessons I learned, like these competency components: effective professionalism, teamwork, career and self-development, critical thinking, and communication for working with a great team. The School of English Studies Department is a super team to work alongside.

During Summer II, I was brought on as the Intern Copyeditor; however, this semester, I had the honored pleasure of writing over one dozen blog posts. As an English Major, I took pride in working with this impressive English department (a perfect fit). The team was so in sync that It was easy to group up with them. Let me utilize my writing skills as the team’s blogger and add an idea or two at the team meetings. There are no questions; each blog post is special to me, bringing me to a few of my favorite moments.

I have had the grand opportunity to write about various events and the privilege to oblige for those. I recall Kean Day being the first event I assisted. With that, tabling was some of the best moments I experienced. I met two remarkable daughters and their concerned moms interested in supporting their decision to choose English as a Major or Minor and apply for our year-round internship opportunities. While tabling at the Undergraduate Open House and speaking with attendee Maribel, she reminded me of how English has always been my passion. Like Maribel, I have loved writing since I was a young child. Thus, I shared a passage I expounded upon in my Writing Poetry course inspired by Award Winning Elizabeth Acevedo.

On Thursday, October 20, 2022, the School of English Studies Department hosted its second annual panel discussion, The Possibilities of the English Major in CAS 308, as delicious refreshments were served. Attendees and I learned about Career Paths in English. Distinguished guests educated us about the benefits of pursuing an English degree and non-traditional opportunities after graduation.

The department’s first annual Harvest Haikus and Party: poetry combined with delicious hot chocolate, festive music, and fantastic participators was an excellent academic Fall treat. A few participants wore costumes, and the department prized a winner. I undoubtedly enjoyed my cup of steamy hot chocolate with marshmallows, chocolate morals, and whip cream, topped with a dash of cinnamon.

Everyone agrees the events were superb, and the School of English Studies Department rocks. The Grab Bag Giveaways and Spin The Wheel were always the crowd favorites. Attending and reporting on the webinars I joined was a bonus. The information I gathered and shared from the free webinars is priceless.

Thank you, Christina, Kimberly, and Isabela; I will not forget the warm reception and valuable experience. I also learned how essential an Agenda is for each meeting. I have applied and woven that tool within every required group project this semester.

Special thanks to you, the reader, for taking the time to read the blog posts. May they encourage, inspire, and motivate you to enroll as an English major or minor here at Kean University.

Now it’s time to say goodbye to the fantastic staff of the School of English Studies Department and readers: M I C – see you real soon! K E Y – why? Because I’ll miss you!

And remember to learn more about how to apply to the School of English Studies and remain in constant contact, email english@kean.edu and connect with us on social media at https://www.facebook.com/KeanEnglish, and https://twitter.com/KeanEnglish.

Former Intern Blogger Valerie Allen signing off. 😊

Comments