Goodbyes, What’s Next, and Poetry


I'm sad to say this will be my last blog of the semester. I’ve been so honored with this opportunity, and it’s the first internship where I can honestly say I’m going to miss it. So, for my last blog, I wanted to talk to you guys about my experience, everything I’ve learned, what I’ll be doing next, and a surprise poem at the end! 

When applying for this internship, I had no idea what to expect. I didn’t even apply to be a blogger, I applied for the editing role and got this instead. As a writer, I’ve always had people tell me to start a blog but I never gave it a second thought. Blogs and writing blogs just never piqued my interest. After having done this for three months I can proudly say I was proven wrong. Not only did I get to write about interesting topics but I felt connected with the readers and even got to answer your questions. It meant a lot to me that people were even reading what I wrote and also wanted to learn more from me. Starting college internships always seemed so intimidating and it was something I wanted to put off until junior year. I was scared that I wouldn’t be able to do it, it wouldn’t be enough for my resume, or that I’d keep putting it off. But the people here really made a difference. Kimberly and Christina have been so nice to me and all the interns, they made it a fun and productive time. They saw that I would be a good fit for the blogger role from the beginning and trusted me ever since. The editor they ended up choosing, Sarah Rosales, is incredible. She picked up on small errors that not even Grammarly did and has impressed me this whole time. I’ve learned a lot from her. She was the perfect candidate for editor. 


My favorite blogs were How to Get out of a Writing Slump, parts one and two, and both the Q&As. It seems that everyone’s favorite, out of my 10 blogs, is How to Get Out of a Writing Slump parts one and two as well. Those two blogs have 80 views, the most out of any blog written on Writers' Block thus far. When I saw that number, I imagined 80 people in a room with me. It was a pretty cool feeling to know that many people cared about what I had to say. 


The school semester starts in one week and I’m wondering where the heck did time go? Is summer seriously over? It’s a bittersweet feeling starting classes again and it stresses me out as I know it does for a lot of you as well. The best advice I could give myself as well as you guys, is to treat each semester as its own separate thing. I remember when I got on the Dean's List for the first time. Of course, I was excited, but I soon thought of the pressure I felt to always get on it. To not only do good every other semester but also the uncertainty of what it would be like after. My therapist told me to let go of expectations and to treat everything as its own experience. I might’ve done well this semester but I’m going into this one trying my best and that’s enough. I won’t be doing this internship again in the fall semester but I'll be a part of the LEAP internship also at Kean. It’s a scholarship internship and if you want to know more about it, contact your advisor because It’s a great opportunity! As for my creativity, I’ll be partnering with mutuals on Instagram to bring my poems to life. A short video is coming soon so follow me on Instagram, @thats.alyssa, for more :)


With that being said, goodbye to everyone. I plan on coming back, whether that’s as a blogger again or editor, who knows. Just know this isn’t goodbye forever. If you want to try this out, email @keanenglish. They’re looking for bloggers, editors, social media marketing, and graphic designers. To close this out, here’s a poem I haven’t shared yet, from me to you:


A map to Wonderland 


A map to a new world

bounces from my curls

to yours 


Took a stop on a cloud

Sat & Rested 

Said goodbye to that life

Kissed it and Left it 


Let sleep become you 

as your dreams are a gateway 

How easy it is 

to manifest where you lay


The moon tucks me in

as the sun will wake me up

Both said don’t even look both ways,

Trust your intuition and JUMP

I trust where I’m going

I trust where I’ll land

Because in this life

I’ve seen struggle firsthand 


You don’t need me 

to tell you where to go

And as you grow

just remember 

you’re more capable than you know


-AlyssaMR



                               
                                                                                      
    Me editing this blog. Byeeeeee :')




Comments