Books to Read: Challenging Edition

In the previous blog, I went through good books I recommend for anyone who wants to try reading. I'll discuss five more books of different genres that are more challenging. This is a great blog for those who are already readers and would like recommendations, those looking to challenge themselves, and beginners that want to skip the line. I was hesitant to write this blog because these are literally my favorite books I’ve ever read, especially the poetry section. I’m not usually a ‘gatekeeper’ UNLESS it comes to books but I just had to put you guys on!!! These gems have taught me so much about love, feminism, trauma, and new perspectives that other people around you could be going through. I’d recommend everyone read these books at least once in their life and I only categorized it as challenging because the writing will definitely make you think and look up a few definitions.


First up…

  1. Fiction

  • Novel: On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong. Written by a poet, On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, is Vuong’s first novel. That’s important to consider because although it’s fiction it has a poetic feel to it, which is why I love it. It’s about a young Vietnamese-American man whose family, specifically his mom and grandma, were affected by the Vietnam War. He wasn’t involved in the war whatsoever but he still has to deal with the effects of their trauma and the fact that they’re immigrants. In order to process all the pain his mother caused him, he writes a letter to his mom explaining everything. It’s a letter she’ll never be able to read because his mom doesn’t speak English. In it, we learn about his abuse, love life, bullying, and financial struggles. It’s a beautiful LGBTQ+ friendly read. 


Quote from the book: “I am writing because they told me to never start a sentence with because. But I wasn't trying to make a sentence—I was trying to break free. Because freedom, I am told, is nothing but the distance between the hunter and its prey.” “When does a war end? When can I say your name and have it mean only your name and not what you left behind?”


  • Greek Mythology: Circe by Madeline Miller. Circe was the daughter of Helios, God of the Sun, and Perse, an ocean nymph. At first, she was referred to as a sea nymph (known to be lesser than Gods) but later as a witch. She does something very ‘bad’ after being treated horribly by her whole family for decades and is banished to an island alone for the rest of eternity. During the hundreds of years she’s left on this island you see her become independent, grow in her magic, fall in love, have a baby, and learn the evil things men can do. It explores what it means to be immortal in a way we can relate to living in a patriarchal world ruled by gods AKA MEN. This is a great read for feminism but also teaches you how to live life to its fullest no matter your circumstance. 


Quotes from the book: “Humbling women seems to me a chief pastime of poets. As if there can be no story unless we crawl and weep...It is a common saying that women are delicate creatures, flowers, eggs, anything that may be crushed in a moment's carelessness. If I had ever believed it, I no longer did.” 



  1. Poetry: The Anatomy of Being by Shinji Moon. This is by far the most special book I've read, not because it’s poetry but because of the way it was written. It felt relatable but also challenging, and not in a way I felt stupid. Shinji Moon is a Korean-American Author studying at NYU. I loved the fact she was in college when she published this because it inspired me to keep writing with the hope of one day publishing my own book. This book follows the format of its title, each poem relating to a part of the body and all of its emotions. It has four parts that include the heart, lungs, skin, etc. It’s filled with poems about adolescence and the heartbreak/ challenges that come with that. Moon wrote such unique poems in a way I've never read before. You become smarter by learning little things about the body while also processing all of your own experiences. It made me fall in love during a time when romantic love failed me and I had no choice but to love my solitude. I’ve owned this book for three years now and I think it’s time for more people to read this beautiful piece.


Quotes from the book: “Tectonic plates are shifting beneath my skin

and there's a new continent in my chest

that I want to call by your name” “I wonder how it is that you, you are just a handful of billion of cells.”



  1. Non-Fiction: the Artist's Way. A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron. This is my all-time favorite self-help book because of how immersive it is. You’re not just reading someone talking to you and telling you what to do, but instead, you’re participating. Referring back to previous blogs about creative blocks and writing slumps, if you’re going to read any book in hopes of help, read this one. Julia Cameron follows you through a comprehensive 12-week program to recover your creativity from a number of things holding you back like limiting beliefs, fear, self-sabotage, jealousy, guilt, and addictions, replacing them with artistic productivity. This book links creativity to spirituality by showing how to connect with the creative energies of yourself, the universe, and God. It has writing prompts, suggestions, to-do lists, and inspiring quotes backed up by science, philosophy, and the Bible...it has everything. This is a great read for those into spirituality or religion who want to find love again in their creative endeavors. I got this book as soon as Bella Hadid posted it on her story and said it helped her, plus I love her so read it!!!


Quotes from the book: “In times of pain, when the future is too terrifying to contemplate and the past too painful to remember, I have learned to pay attention to right now. The precise moment I was in was always the only safe place for me.” “Creativity occurs in the moment, and in the moment we are timeless.” “No matter what your age or your life path, whether making art is your career or your hobby or your dream, it is not too late or too egotistical or too selfish or too silly to work on your creativity.”


   Me with my babies. Literally my all-time favs.

All the books mentioned.

Comments