Author Bio

 About Me

(Your Summer 2023 Blogger)


     Hello everyone, I hope you’re having a great summer break so far! My name is Alyssa Rivers. I'm currently a sophomore at Kean University and an English major with a writing emphasis (and a possibility of a double major in psychology). My favorite genre of literature would be poetry with realistic fiction and self-help books following shortly after. Although I love indulging in fantasy novels sometimes, I'd prefer to watch stuff like that in TV shows or movies. For example, my favorite show is The Vampire Diaries and if you don’t know what that is, I have only one question for you… do you live under a rock circa B.C?! My writing is more on the interactive side. to relate and have a connection with my audience because I'd love for you to have an idea of my personality through how I write. 


     My hobbies include reading throughout the year; if you’re anything like me, the book(s) you’re currently reading have to go with the season we’re living in. In the winter, I tend to read sad dramatic novels or fantasy, fall books include more academic or mysterious plots, and in the summer, I love romance and self-help books. Poetry is something I like to write about myself, as I'm an aspiring writer. Some of my work has gotten published before in zines, poetry contests, and independent authors’ books. I’ll reference some of my published work and I'll share a few of my poems in upcoming blogs, so stay tuned! Other than reading and writing, I could spend the whole day at the beach. As long as there is an open body of water, I’m happy. I also have been a professional dancer  for 15 years and it’s still one of my main passions. In my free time, I'll be listening to music, enjoying nature, or attempting to paint something worth showing. If you like anything I listed, we’ll get along as I'm very open to new things. 


         I’m most looking forward to the overall experience of this internship. This is my first time blogging and every time I try something new at Kean, I'm welcomed with open arms. I initially wanted the position as the editor, but I got this instead (I'm a very strong believer in everything happening for a reason). I’ve always been told that I have a unique perspective and a way of writing on a lot of different topics, and I can’t wait to share some of them here. I trust that Christina and Kimberly (the two lovely women who run this internship) took the time to get to know every single one of us. Kean English studies offer so many fun opportunities to grow, and I'm so grateful to have been a part of some of them. My favorite events since I started at this school have been the Writer’s Retreat, hosted by Dr. Zamora, and all the writing workshops that have been hosted. There’s poetry events, a memoir storytelling workshop, poetry contests, and internships! These all have my highest recommendation but you have to go and put yourself out there. Trust me, you won’t regret it. 


     The one thing that might be challenging about this internship is my lack of experience. My first internship was with the LEAP scholarship program at the Holocaust Resource Center here at Kean. It was a great experience working with Adara, reading children's books about the Holocaust, and making PowerPoints what is accurate and appropriate for minors to read about that sad time period. However, this is my first time ever doing anything like this and publishing it. I'm excited to learn and nervous at the same time. 

“Everybody has to start somewhere. You have your whole future ahead of you. Perfection doesn't happen right away.”

― Haruki Murakami



Comments